YFI: Dr. Hegde, in your opinion, how can a YFI Programme Fellow benefit from his/her experience of working in rural India?
Dr. Hegde: Working in rural India will be an invaluable experience for the YFI Fellow. S/he can gain a mix of knowledge and skills while working on rural development projects. The take-aways could include:
- Traditional wisdom and knowledge about conservation, food security, health care, self development and contented life
- Better understanding about the problems and opportunities for development of suitable agri-business ventures
- Knowledge about current problems of the service sector and scope for developing service industries
- In-depth knowledge and know-how on promoting rural marketing
- Awareness & know-how regarding opportunities for promoting micro-financing
- Know-how to promote eco-tourism through conservation of natural resources and bio-diversity.